Eggless Pineapple Cake
Ananas, Pina, Nanas are some other common names of this exotic fruit i.e, Pineapple!
Once known as the king of fruits, Pineapple is liked by majority of the people irrespective of their age group. I too fall into the same category ;) I love pineapple, both fresh and canned.
I got the idea of making a pineapple cake from the leftover ingredients sitting in my refrigrator. I wanted to get rid of this semi used milkmaid tin, an open pineapple tin and a big pot of whipped cream. The ingredients themselves prompted me to prepare a pineapple cake.
This yummy pineapple cake has two important features: First, it is eggless.
Second, it is prepared in microwave. Yes, you heard me right, in a microwave. So the cake sponge gets ready in mere 10 min of time whereas if you make a cake on convection mode it generally takes about an hour (10-15 min to preheat and then 35-40 min to bake). So I would say mine is a quick version.
Red tutti-fruitti is only to elate the presentation of an otherwise plain white cake.
This recipe has three parts.
1. Making the pineapple sponge.
2. Preparing whipped cream.
3. Assembling the cake.
So, friends here is the recipe.
Ingredients for the Pineapple sponge :
Plain flour - 1 1/2 cup
Milkmaid - 1/2 tin
White butter - 60 gms
Soda water - 100 ml
Baking powder - 3/4 tsp
Soda-bi-carb - 1/2 tsp
Powdered sugar - 2 tbsp
Pineapple essence - 1 tsp
1. Mix milkmaid, butter and sugar.
2. Sieve the flour, baking powder and soda-bi-carb together.
3. Mix the flour mixture, milkmaid mixture, essence and soda water and beat well.
4. Pour the mixture into a greased and dusted Microwave safe 6" diameter dish.
5. Microwave it on 60% power for 10 min.
6. Cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the dish, check by inserting a needle down through the cake, if it comes out clean, cake is ready, if not, then microwave it for a few more seconds. (time duration may vary slightly due to the voltage and the kind of dish used)
7. When ready, take out cake from the Microwave and leave for 1 min. Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove.
8. Cool the sponge.
Ingredients for the icning
Whipped cream(beaten) - 4 cups
Pineapple essence - 1 tsp
1. Mix the essence into the whipped cream.
Assembling the cake
Pineapple sponge (outcome of part 1)
Whipped cream (outcome of part 2)
Syrup from the pineapple tin
Pinapple tidbits- 1/2 tin
Red tutti- fruitti - 1 tbsp
1. Slice the cake into 3 equal horizontal layers.
2. Place the bottom layer of the cake on the turntable and pour 2 tbsp syrup from the pinapple tin on this layer.
3. Spread 1 cup of whipped cream evenly on this layer and arrange 2 tbsp of pineapple tidbits at equal distances over it.
4. Repeat the step 2nd and 3rd to make one more layer over it.
5.Finally place the topmost layer of the cake on top and soak it with the syrup from pineapple tin.
6. Spread a thick layer of whipped cream evenly on top and at the sides of the cake.
7. Put some whipped cream in the piping bag and using the star nozzle, pipe out a circle along the circumferrence of the cake and 2 more circles in the middle and at the center of the cake. Thus dividing the cake into 3 circular portions
8. Arrange pineapple tidbits in the outermost circle and in the innermost one and sprinkle red tutti-fruitti in the middle portion to create a beautifull colour contrast.
9. Refrigerate till use.
The cake looked very tempting and tasted very very delicious!!